Sunday, July 03, 2005

A Sunny Sunday Afternoon

Today's Top Story


My good friends Tim and Karen have gone off to the wonderful world of China in order to adopt a little baby girl. You can read all about it here.

I felt a little moved by this adoption thing today and I wasn't expecting it. I think when a woman is pregnant and you get to visit with her through the various stages of pregnancy, it seems more real. This whole time they've been talking about adoption, I guess I felt like, "Hey. They're going off to a communist country and they're bringing a kid back."

However, having taken a look at the pictures Tim has taken plus the video he emailed to me of Karen giving the young one her first bath, it was like...POW!!! My friends have a new child that they will be raising in this crazy world. Holy Cow!!!

Now I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm the kind of guy who visits the Mother and Father in the hospital after she's had the baby and I believe I did just that for both of the young Lynch boys. Now I feel a little lost. They're not coming back for 11 days. I can't wait to see them.

It's not like I haven't been in touch though. Tim has his powerbook and thanx to the people at Apple Computers, we were able to audio chat for free using iChat on our computers. If I can find my iSight (haven't seen it since I moved), maybe we'll get the chance to video chat.

I have learned a few things from talking with Tim and Karen. For one, and I always suspected as much, the Chinese Menu in China does not consist of you typical American Chinese Take-Out fare. Apparently, General Tso and his chicken are not as popular in China as they are in the good ol' US. I wish I saved our coversation but from what I remember, Tim had room service food options like soup with shark fin, something with turtle, and my favorite, the marinated edible fungus.

What I like about that last one is that it has the word, edible. I mean, I'm guessing no matter how crazy the menu is, a restaurant in China isn't going to serve you anything that isn't edible. Yet, the Chinaman who wrote out the hotel's menu...well, he just knew. An eccentric American who came to my country might take a chance on the shark or the turtle, but there's no way in hell the craziest American will eat the fungus meal unless I let him know that it's ok to eat it. I better tell him it's the fungus of the edible sort.

Here's something else interesting about China. Tim wasn't able to access the Karen And Tim blog most likely because they talk about China in the blog and I guess communist China blocks their people from seeing anything on the internet about China. As a result, I had to go on the Karen and Tim blog and redirect people to a web space they could get to from China to post blog entries. If this China blocking thing is in fact the truth, I guess this is my fairwell blog to my Chinese audience in China. Thanx for reading. I will miss you. I wish I knew who you were.

That's all for now. I have some stuff I should be doing. I'll check with ya l8r.
Dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com